Think Progress is reporting about a speech to the Republican National Committee by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal in which he said that the GOP “must stop being the stupid party”:
We must stop being the stupid party. It’s time for a new Republican party that talks like adults. It’s time for us to articulate our plans and visions for America in real terms. We had a number of Republicans damage the brand this year with offensive and bizarre comments. We’ve had enough of that.
Perhaps one way to stop being the stupid party is to get new– and adult– members by ridding itself of people like Jindal. And Cantor. And Ryan. And Bachmann. And McConnell. And so many others.
TP goes on to list five ways that Jindal is responsible for transforming the GOP into “the stupid party.” Here are the ways, but please link over to read the details:
1. He permits Louisiana schools to teach creationism. (We covered that here in posts about the amazing anti-creationism efforts of my teen activist pal, Zack Kopplin.)
2. He allows state employees to be fired for being gay.
3. He has signed bills to intimidate women seeking abortions. J
4. He seeks to dramatically cut taxes for the wealthy, increase taxes for everyone else.
5. He refuses to provide health care for Louisiana’s poorest.
Let’s expand on those:
- So much for Bobby Jindal’s “transparency”: His top aides use personal emails to strategize on Medicaid cuts
- His knack for public speaking. (sarcasm)
- And the ever popular Bobby Jindal said, “If we want people to like us, we have to like them first” (at about 1:15):
In that post, I wrote:
Bobby states, with a straight face, that his party will actually “have” to try to “like” people who aren’t white, male, and wealthy. They’re forced to do that now, because, hey, they’re going to run for office, for Pete’s sake! What an effort that will be! Maybe if they close their eyes real tightly and hold their noses, they can tolerate getting within a few feet of a few select people who don’t look, act, or sound like them.
Without saying “Ew!” I mean.
The stupid party. Ew.