Crackerjack move, Republicans, keep it up. Continue to reveal what true geniuses you are. See, by slashing federal jobs, by cutting resources needed to litigate important matters that affect all of us, you're allowing bad guys to skate. America first! Go GOP!
Then again, since when have Republicans worried about the commission of financial crimes (or war crimes, for that matter)? In fact, this situation, in and of itself, is a crime.
Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said a federal hiring freeze is threatening his office’s ability to carry out its job of prosecuting financial and other crimes.
“People are going to get away,” Bharara said today at a Practising Law Institute event in New York. “We’re OK now but at some point that will cease to be true.”
Other governmental departments and offices have faced financial constraints as a result of federal budget cuts known as sequestration. Bharara said he’s not able to replace prosecutors who leave through normal attrition.
When do voters open their eyes widely enough to notice that the GOP is and has been terrible for this country? Between...
- limiting the ability to prosecute crimes,
- limiting women's (and everyone else's) ability to get health care,
- limiting Americans' ability to vote,
- limiting the little guys' ability to fight corporations,
- limiting immigrants' ability to make it here and contribute to the nation and its economy,
- limiting the LGBT community's ability to acquire the same rights and protections as the straight community,
- limiting children's ability to get a decent public education,
- limiting families' ability to eat,
- limiting workers' ability to join unions and collectively bargain for workplace rights,
- limiting all our ability to generally attain equal rights and equal pay,
- limiting the president's ability to simply get his cabinet and judicial nominees through...
...between all of that, self-serving, shortsighted Republicans have shown that they are intent on destroying everyone and everything except the things that benefit them directly.
Open. Your. Eyes. America! Vote Democratic in 2014.