Sometimes I get so frustrated and/or disheartened and/or annoyed by some of the news stories of the day that I can’t bring myself to write about them. Here are a few recent reports that made my blood pressure hit the roof. I am avoiding delving into them at length out of concern for my physical and mental health.
- GOP Congressman: ‘Illegal Aliens Have Just Invaded My DC Office’– And by “Congressman” they mean Rep. Steve King (R-IA). And by “illegal aliens” King meant undocumented members of United We Dream dressed in their caps and gowns and who are all a helluvalot smarter, classier, and mental-healthier than he is.
- Housing Discrimination Hasn’t Gone Away, It’s Just Gone Underground– How can we miss it if it won’t go away, dammit?
- GOP Senators Aim To Prevent Legalized Immigrants From Accessing Health Care Benefits– That’s using your empty heads, GOP Senators! Nothing says “America’s well being” better than people who can’t access health care when they’re sick, hence enabling the spread of more diseases. Did I mention it’s bad for the economy, too? It “can shift health care cost down the road and force immigrants to put off needed or preventive services.”
- Ohio Republicans Introduce One Of The Nation’s All-Time Worst Abortion Bills– Because Wisconsin’s just weren’t horrible enough.
- Big Tobacco Goes High-Tech To Convince You That Smoking Is Cool Again– Oh goody. Marketing e-cigs as if they were Apple products. Their next trick: Convincing teens that cancer is cool.
- Self-Proclaimed ‘Green Republican’ Has One Climate Policy: Build Keystone Tar Sands Pipeline– Which just goes to show you that not ever Navy SEAL is a hero. I’m talkin’ to you, Gabriel Gomez.
- And just because you’ve all been so good and tolerated so much intolerable news: 26 Lawmakers Live Off Food Stamps To Protest Republican Cuts.
See what I mean? So who’s up for a couple of Margs or a trough of wine?