Today Alex Witt asked this (slightly paraphrased) question of her guest regarding the Iran nuclear deal:
So if the Iran deal fails, does that mean failure for President Obama?
Let's dissect that, mmkay?
- So what I'm asking is, if something fails, does it fail? And if Obama was involved, isn't he an epic fail, too? Well, isn't he? OMG!
- So whaddya say, can I coax you to use the words "blame Obama"?
- So if the deal doesn't go as well as the president hopes, is he the big fat failure we all know he is and always has been and always will be? OMG!
- Can you please assume and/or predict a negative outcome of a deal that was finalized only hours ago, has six months to go, and hasn't even had a nano-chance to start working yet?
- OMG! Is one potentially bad deal going to obliterate any and all successes he's had after 8 years of his presidency?
- If making a peaceful, diplomatic attempt to avoid another insane, deadly war that would be terrible for the region, the United States, and the world doesn't produce an ideal result, don't you think it's time to prematurely condemn this president?
- If things go the way President Obama's detractors want it to go, can we conclude that, OMG! his entire presidency sucks?
- If the president doesn't succeed at this international effort that includes several other countries-- never mind that silly Osama bin Laden thing and avoiding war with Syria-- can we finally all agree that we should be dismissive of his entire foreign policy?
- Can I garner higher ratings for my show by asking a meaningless-yet-annoyingly goading question that will-- OMG!-- incite more Obama bashing, blame, and disapproval?
- OMG! OBAMA IS A BLACKTASTIC LOSER!
- Is this a particularly terrible interview?