With a h/t to our own, Lucian Dixon...
Last night I had the most horrible of dreams -- a nightmare. Well, it was a nightmare in the sense that it caused me to wake up in a panicked state with a veneer of sweat across my forehead.
It went something like this. My son came home with a document -- the results of his psychological testing that was mandated in his application for a full time work position that he really wanted badly. He was a little concerned, so as a loving dad, I asked him what's up? He handed me a paper, the test results. Stamped across it was the word, "APPROVED."
Hell, I couldn't see anything the matter with that. I had more problems with his potential employer administering a psych test to see if he was qualified for this job -- the assistant director of IT for a middle-sized company. It wasn't anything that would have so great an impact that it required this kind of examination.
But it was done. And he was approved. So, the dream was going along just fine until my son asked me to look at the questions -- more of a profile assessment. My son was found to have all of the traits listed below, which were attributed to Psychology Today:
- American exceptionalism and the need to protect it by strict immigration policies;
- Anti-abortion under all circumstances (”Life begins at conception”);
- Pro-capital punishment;
- Pro-gun rights;
- “Law and order” attitudes favoring harsh penalties for criminal behavior; Supporters of the “war on drugs;”
- Anti-affirmative action;
- Anti-reductions in nuclear weapons;
- Anti-entitlements; anti-gay;
- Anti-science (e.g., denial of evolution and climate change);
- Belief in the promulgation of “Christian values” in schools, courts, and public ceremonies;
- Reverence for people in uniform; given to patriotic display;
- A fondness for military solutions to international problems;
- Biblical certainty in matters of morality;
- A conviction that those who disagree politically should be the objects of coercion; A view of oneself as beset by evil forces conspiring to take what one has;
- The equation of compromise with “weakness.”
Oh my God. My son, whom I love, was a conservative. A friggin' Republican right-wing conservative! I panicked. What had I done wrong? I had raised him with love. I had never laid a hand on him and seldom even raised my voice with him. I had traveled with him to many countries to see and experience the world. We'd participated in many charity events. He was a good team player in baseball and soccer. He learned American Sign Language as his foreign language requirement so he could help those who might not be able to hear. He went to university and got his Bachelor of Science degree. He has a long-term girl friend. How could this happen to me -- or more importantly to him?
And then I woke up. My son heard me yelling and rushed in, joining my wife with great concern. I hugged them both when I realized this was a dream. A horrible dream. My son never took such a test. And he assured me that he was still very much a left-leaning Democrat.
Now that should have been the end of it right there. But as with most good spooky stories, it's not.
In an email from Lucian to me which I read last night before retiring, was this study. And these qualities listed above are actually the traits Psychology Today compiled after vast studies and assessments, which best sum up today's right-wing conservative.
Oh, and the horror of it all? How can we survive with thinking like that running rampant among us?
I'd go back to sleep if I wasn't so worried about that dream becoming a reality.
Lesson here... don't go to sleep and let the right wing run free. Let's sleep but do it in shifts. It's the only protection we've got against mass insanity. That and our vote. Keep these Republican wackadoos from reaching office, local, state and national. Don't let the fact that the upcoming elections are "only" mid-terms. They are more important now than ever before. Get your asses out of your chairs and vote.
Don't say you weren't warned.