Sometimes I get so frustrated and/or disheartened and/or annoyed by some of the news stories of the day that I can’t bring myself to write about them. Here are a few recent reports that made my blood pressure hit the roof. I am avoiding delving into them at length out of concern for my physical and mental health.
- McConnell: Immigration reform not going to happen in 2014- President Obama won 75% of the Latino vote in 2012. How's that outreach thing workin' for ya, GOP?
- Senate sends farm bill to Obama; Obama expected to sign the bill into law- Nothing says "family values" like taking food off the tables of our struggling seniors, veterans, and children while subsidizing wealthy agricultural corporations.
- The GOP Just Named its Hot New Innovation Lab After a Nazi Pistol- What better way to endear themselves to Jewish voters?
- GM’s First Female CEO Will Make Half Of What Her Predecessor Made- Because, come ON people, everyone knows it's a man's world! How dare uppity, brazen women like Mary Barra think they deserve equality!? Now get back in the kitchen where you belong, missy.
- As Keystone Decision Looms, Buried Report Cites TransCanada’s ‘Inadequate’ Pipeline Inspections+ Tar Sands Oil Development Is More Toxic Than Previously Thought, Study Finds- Puh-leeze. Inspections, schminspections, toxic schmoxic, because... oil!!
- Colorado GOP Seeks to End Same-Day Voter Registration- Because when voter fraud is nearly non-existent, it's vital to make laws that not only addresses baseless claims, but also prevent qualified voters (read: Dems) from casting a ballot. Go democracy!
- House GOP Finalizes Demands to Raise Debt Ceiling- They want to trade a one-year extension for approval of the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline, or for repeal of the Affordable Care Act's risk corridors. What, no Benghazi demands? You're sli-i-ip-ping, GOP.
See what I mean? So who’s up for a couple of Margs or a trough of wine?