Sometimes I get so frustrated and/or disheartened and/or annoyed by some of the news stories of the day that I can’t bring myself to write about them. Here are a few recent reports that made my blood pressure hit the roof. I am avoiding delving into them at length out of concern for my physical and mental health.
- GOP Congressman: ‘Illegal Aliens Have Just Invaded My DC Office’-- And by "Congressman" they mean Rep. Steve King (R-IA). And by "illegal aliens" King meant undocumented members of United We Dream dressed in their caps and gowns and who are all a helluvalot smarter, classier, and mental-healthier than he is.
- Housing Discrimination Hasn’t Gone Away, It’s Just Gone Underground-- How can we miss it if it won't go away, dammit?
- GOP Senators Aim To Prevent Legalized Immigrants From Accessing Health Care Benefits-- That's using your empty heads, GOP Senators! Nothing says "America's well being" better than people who can't access health care when they're sick, hence enabling the spread of more diseases. Did I mention it's bad for the economy, too? It "can shift health care cost down the road and force immigrants to put off needed or preventive services."
- Ohio Republicans Introduce One Of The Nation’s All-Time Worst Abortion Bills-- Because Wisconsin's just weren't horrible enough.
- Big Tobacco Goes High-Tech To Convince You That Smoking Is Cool Again-- Oh goody. Marketing e-cigs as if they were Apple products. Their next trick: Convincing teens that cancer is cool.
- Self-Proclaimed ‘Green Republican’ Has One Climate Policy: Build Keystone Tar Sands Pipeline-- Which just goes to show you that not ever Navy SEAL is a hero. I'm talkin' to you, Gabriel Gomez.
- And just because you've all been so good and tolerated so much intolerable news: 26 Lawmakers Live Off Food Stamps To Protest Republican Cuts.
See what I mean? So who’s up for a couple of Margs or a trough of wine?