Retired U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor spoke at the Hammerschmidt Memorial Chapel on history, ethics and law. In that speech, she expressed her opposition to the election of judges, saying the following, per the Chicago Tribune:
“I think there are many who think of judges as politicians in robes. In many states, that’s what they are.”
No way! Whatever could have put that crazy idea into her head? Of course that wasn't what GW Bush had in mind at all, right, when he and the GOP packed the courts with conservative judges; yet Republicans now refuse to so much as consider President Obama's judicial nominees.
O'Connor prefers to think of judges as, you know, impartial and independent, fair and unbiased. How novel.
Instead, she said, people "seem to think judges should be a reflex of the popular will" and that judges "need to avoid sitting on cases if even a whiff of bias can be detected."
Are you listening, Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Alito?
- VIDEO: In-Justices Scalia, Alito and Thomas
- We have right to liberty, pursuit of happiness “just so long as the specific type of happiness is older than mobile telephones.”
- Common Cause: Clarence Thomas failed to report wife’s income
- Common Cause asks DoJ to investigate Justices Scalia’s & Thomas’s alleged conflict of interest in Citizens United case
- Justices Scalia, Kennedy, Alito “use their power against the very people they ought to protect”
- “I’m not into politics,” said partisan Justice Thomas; black president would be “approved by elites, media.”
- Video- MTP: Herman Cain- “Justice Clarence Thomas is one of my models.”
- Cartoons of the Day- Scalia and the Voting Rights Act
- “It is not the pro-gay rights position that has been reduced to absurdity, it is Scalia himself.”
- “Justice Antonin Scalia will continue to be remembered as the GOP partisan he is.”
- Justice Scalia: Outlawing “homosexual sodomy” is a no-brainer
- VIDEO: Justice Scalia suggests hand-held rocket launchers protected under Second Amendment
- Justice Scalia believes innocent people can be executed, so he won’t care if people die from no health insurance
- VIDEO: Justice Scalia reciting GOP talking points during “Obamacare” argument
- Justice Scalia on Bush v Gore: “Get over it… It wasn’t even close.” Oh really?
- Former Reagan Official Slams Justice Scalia’s Tea Party Gathering
- Justice Scalia is no fan of the 17th Amendment
- Justice Clarence Thomas’s wife continued to lobby against health care In 2011, per new financial forms
- Look who’s pallin’ around with the Koch Brothers, plotting elections
- VIDEO: “You Can’t Spell Corrupt Without C-O-U-R-T”- Clarence Thomas must resign.
- VIDEO- Rep. Chris Murphy: Can Clarence Thomas “continue to serve as a Justice”?
- Clarence Thomas’s friendship with conservative real estate magnate, donor examined
- Clarence Thomas’ wife joins The Daily Caller as a… journalist
- Why there is concern that the Supreme Court’s legitimacy is being undermined by Clarence Thomas
- Justice Clarence Thomas “indicates he has his mind made up before the argument.”
- VIDEO- POE: Justice Thomas failed to disclose that Citizens United spent more than $100,000 on ads, supported his nomination
- 74 House Democrats say Justice Thomas should recuse himself in health care case
More at the link.