I’m gobsmacked. Never thought there was a lick of sense in that legislature (excluding D’s). Read the rest of the article at the link to see how bitchy that asshat Pearce got about the vote going down. h/t Aimee.
PHOENIX - Concluding the measures go too far, state senators on Thursday rejected a package of bills designed to crack down on illegal immigration.
With Republicans joining the minority Democrats, lawmakers refused to approve bills which, taken together, were designed to challenge the notion that someone born in the United States is automatically considered a citizen.
They also voted down measures to:
- require hospitals to make an effort to determine if the people they are treating are in this country legally
- restrict the registration of vehicles to only legal residents;
- make it a state crime for an illegal immigrant to drive in Arizona;
- bar admission into state universities and community colleges of anyone who cannot prove citizenship or legal residency;
- mandate that cities evict all residents of a public housing unit if even one occupant is an illegal immigrant.
Senators also refused to require parents to provide proof of citizenship or other legal presence for any child being enrolled in school. And they killed a related bill to force schools to produce a count of illegal immigrants in Arizona schools..